The GFWC Public Issues Community Service Program is designed to actively connect members with effective projects and activities relating to civic engagement. This program focuses on the following areas:
- Educate club members and local communities on the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
- Encourage active involvement in issues that affect the world around you.
- Use resources, including GFWC Resolutions, to increase patriotism, pride in heritage, and active community involvement.
- Veterans Affairs
- Educate club members and local communities on needs of military families.
- Advocate for legislation that supports active and veteran military personnel and their families.
- Support military personnel and veterans returning to community living.
- Emergency Preparedness
- Educate club members and local communities on disaster readiness, recovery, and relief.
- Work with law enforcement agencies and first responders to increase public awareness.
- Develop community programs and coalitions to address disaster recovery and relief.
- Educate club members and local communities on home, road, and Internet safety.
- Provide programs, tools, and training.
- Create safer homes and communities through awareness.
Chairman of Public Issues Community Service Programs: Ceal Murray
What’s going on . . .
Our Troops Need Good Books!
If you loved making CARDS FOR TROOPS, you will love BOOKS FOR TROOPS. We will are collecting used paperboack books in good condition to send to our troops. This will be an ongoing project as long as we don’t run out of books. The troops have asked for specific genres of books.
Their favorites are westerns, thrillers, mysteries, and science fiction. No non-fiction or romances please. they also like automobile magazines, such as “Car and Driver, “Road and Track” and “Motor Trend”. So start your spring cleaning early and weed out those books you know you will never read again. This is an easy way to support our troops and gives them some entertainment when they are far from home and have some down time. Thanks in advance for your help!
Coupons for Military Families
Public Issues is collecting coupons for oversees military families. We mail the clipped coupons several times a year so bring in your coupons to any meeting. Recently expired coupons are accepted as they are valid up to one year after the expiration date.